“Mom, would you please buy me the new iPod Touch?” you ask.
Your mom responds, “Are you crazy?! That phone is so expensive! Do you think I’m made of money?”
What do you next?
If you really want that new iPod…
If you can think of a few important reasons you need that iPod…
…then you are ready to change your mom’s mind!
…you are ready to to PERSUADE her.
Learning how to persuade someone is an extremely important skill because:
1. if you change your mom’s mind she might buy you that new phone, the Xbox Kinect, or that brand new book that all the cool kids read.
2. if you can change someone’s mind to recycle more you can make the world a better place.
3. if you persuade someone why you are a good worker then you will hired for a job and make lots of money doing fun stuff.
4.if you persuade the new kid in class that you are a nice person he or she will probably want to be your friend.
5. if you learn how to write good persuasive essays you will get great grades in my class AND do really well on the NJASK! Your mom will be so proud of you she might just buy that iPod Touch!
6. if you can master the tricks I will teach you, then you have nothing to fear from other tests with persuasive essays in your future like: HSPA’s, SAT’s, and GRE’s.
7. finally, and most importantly, if you learn the tricks of persuasion then you can realize when people are using those tricks on you. You won’t fall for them any more. For example, did you realize that this whole post was trying to persuade YOU that persuasive essays are really important.
If you want that new iPod Touch, make the world a better place, get hired for a great job, get great grades, make an awesome new friend, and even a brand new book then you will work hard on mastering the art of persuasion.
© 2010 David Mach