To prevent good teachers from making bad posts, I have created the following list. I hope it helps!
1. Thou shall never publish anything you wouldn’t show your boss or mom.
2. Thou shall avoid intoxicants in posts or pics
3. … the same generally goes for anything that legally requires 18 years.
4. Thou shall only post pics with a minimum of boxers and a T-shirt on, regardless of sex.
5. Thou shall not post pics of your students, nor shall you use their real names unless they are over 18 and have expressly given consent.
6. Thou shall not curse, dummy (even this sentence would be shocking to a 1st grader).
7. Thou shall avoid ANYTHING erotic or sexual.
9. Thou should remember that every pic and post is your face to the world. Therefore, look for every possible chance to include posts or pics of you and your student’s successful work (ask students’ permission and block their names.)
10. Thou shall never lie in a post. It’s a terrible precedent to set for the future of our world.
“What happens in Vegas stays on FaceBook forever.”
What do you think? Did I leave something out? Do you disagree? Help me refine this list. Do you think it’s actually detrimental to our students that we as public figures are forced to pretend we are saints in our lawsuit-crazy world?
Copyright © 2010 David Mach